Swedish Pattern Weaves
Joanne Hall has been inspired by her Swedish heritage and studied their weave structures for years. Continually inspired by the unique designs coming from Sweden, from the utilitarian towels to the decorative hangings and runners she has assembled a wonderful course focusing on Pattern Weaves. As a category, pattern weaves are those which are woven with two shuttles. One weft forming the ground fabric and the second creating our pattern. The structures we will be examining in a round robin fashion are on pre-warped looms. All materials are included with your tuition.
Some examples of the structures you will be introduced to.
1. Halvdräll- Two blocks, four treadles
2. Munkabälte- Monkbelt, a two block, four treadle weave
3. Plattväv- Simplified monkbelt pattern
4. Jämtlandsväv- Four shaft weave, which inspired the crackle weave
5. Jämtlandsväv- Simplified draft two two pattern blocks
6. Kukkola- Jämtlandsväv in combination with a block with a longer float
7. Rosengång- Rosepath, a four shat, four or six treadle pattern
8. Daldräll- Swedish overshot weave